Political Engagement Academy | Closed
Are you interested in becoming an agent of change? When you want to make the world a better place, it’s important to learn about the world itself and the problems it faces. Let this academy bring you one step closer to change.
The Political Engagement Academy will give you the opportunity to work on a project you are passionate about. During this one-week intensive, you will learn how to create a policy proposal and how to engage with politicians to support your cause. Hear from university professors, grass roots activists, lobbyists, elected officials, political party leaders, and journalists about the complexities of our political system and how you can make an impact, even before you can vote. Through engaging classes, small group objects, guest speakers, and a field trip to Trenton, you’ll develop the skills to critically assess conflicting political messages and research data, from your own positions on pressing public issues, and present and defend them in writing and in oral debate. Students will:
- Learn how to effectively engage with policymakers
- Develop persuasive communication skills through writing and debate
- Understand the basic structures of government, at the federal, state, and local levels
This summer academy will have a credit option available to students. Details about this option will be announced soon.
July 28 - August 3
View a breakdown of what to expect at the Political Engagement Pre-College Summer Academy.
International and U.S. high school (secondary school) juniors and seniors age 16-18 who are interested in learning how to become an agent of change should apply.
- Orientation and campus tour
- Presentations and engaging activities led by Rutgers faculty members and leading professionals
- Field trips
- Guest speakers
- Final certificate ceremony and reception
- Live on campus with classmates in a suite-style, air-cooled residence hall